Saturday, May 14, 2016

Year 2: Concluded

Sophomore year: Complete ✔.  The years keep flying by more quickly than ever, but not without experienced gained, knowledge obtained, and insight to life lessons acquired. I learned a lot of valuable lessons this year, and i'll share just a few of them.

1. Keep God at the center of your life. It is amazing how easy it is to find time to tap the app and scroll through Facebook numerous times a day, but when it comes to tapping on the Bible app instead, we hesitate, or even ignore. It's easy to hit snooze on the alarm clock for that 8am class that we get into such a rush we forget to spend anytime with Jesus. But I have learned without a doubt, that no matter how many times I forget to talk to God, no matter how many times I tap the Facebook app instead of the Bible app, He is always still there waiting, longing to talk. When I needed Him most at the end of the semester, He was there. When I needed a reminder of His power, He showed me. When I needed strength, He supplied me with it (mostly in the form of coffee :p) But in reading through the Old Testament, I found a verse that really applied to my journey. Deuteronomy 31: 8, "He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed." I can say without a doubt in my mind, that this is true. He has cut out a path for me and is leading me through. Even though often times the path feels dark and unknown, foggy and unsure, the rocky and insecure, I know that whatever is at the end of that path is going to be worth the stumbling and the tripping that I face.
"But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul." Deuteronomy 4:29

2. Keep your parents filled in on your life. I've talked to friends who say they call their parents almost daily, and I begin to feel guilty for the bimonthly phone calls that I have with mine. Yes, I text them almost daily, but it's not the same. But I can say without a doubt, that I would have not made it through the semester without the encouragement, love, and support that my parents showed to me. From bad test scores to studying for what seemed like an impossible test to pass. From "dad how often do I change my oil again?" to "mom can you send me a recipe? (with step by step and clarified instructions). From "dad I'm starving, can you send me money?, to "mom, how does bleach work?" These two have supported my dreams from day 1 and no matter how much they want me home (or maybe not), they support me in my decisions, and for that I am beyond grateful. 1 John 4:8 says, "Anyone who does not love, does not know God, because God is love." My parents have shown me the epitome of Christ's love in their words and their actions. I have no better example to look to.

3. Last but not not least, get outside. I have always been one to prefer being outside rather than inside, but this semester really reminded me of the adventure that is out there and waiting to be found. From numerous waterfalls, to jumping off rocks into water, camping in the woods, riding in the back of pick-ups, and climbing water towers, there is always adventure to be found. The fresh air and nature is always beneficial for good health, but it's seeing God's creation that reminds me of what a wonderful Creator we have, and that is what makes the outdoors so special. Psalms 191:1, "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork."

In just my two years of college, I have not only gained academic knowledge, but also life and spiritual knowledge. I've grown from an 18 year old girl who barely knew how to put gas in her car to a 20 year old girl who has seen God's work in her own life and the life of others, (and yes, I can successfully put gas in my own car now.)













No comments:

Post a Comment