Saturday, December 19, 2015

That's Christmas to Me


What does Christmas mean to you? Is it the glitz and glam? The decorations and Christmas shopping? The Christmas music and the festive spirit? Or is it the time spent with family?
Over the years, my perspective of Christmas has changed. I used to be excited as I anticipated what was wrapped in packages under the tree. I was excited to go to grandma and grandpa’s house and leave cookies out for “Santa,” aka Dad. I used to be excited to see the first snowflake fall, or wake up to the ground covered in white glistening snow.

But over the years, my perspective of Christmas has changed.

Christmas is more than trading gifts, decorating trees, and snowy backyards. It’s more than decorating gingerbread houses, Christmas shopping, and waiting for Santa.

It’s about Family.

The more time I’ve spent away from home, the more I’ve realized how valuable family is. I’ve learned the value of spending time with the ones I love, and who love me. I’ve realized that even though I’m not always home, they’re always still with me whenever I need them. Whether it’s 2am
and I’m puking 16 hours away or I’m rejoicing over the fact that I passed a hard nursing test, they’re always there to celebrate with me, or comfort me. Family is carried in my heart no matter the distance, but Christmas is a time I get to fill the “family cup” in my heart.

So that is my meaning of Christmas. Family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment